Hygiene is one of the most important necessities in the day-to-day life of an individual. To lead a healthy lifestyle, one must consider cleaning the home appliances occasionally. Water dispensers help people consume healthy drinking water at preferred temperatures. Placing a water dispenser at home is not just enough but more importantly, cleaning plays a vital role. One must follow a specific method whilst cleaning a water dispenser. As there are different water dispenser models, various cleaning methods can be implemented. Before heading to clean a water dispenser, know the essential things required. By cleaning a dispenser quite often, one can enjoy pure drinking water taste for a long time. Just check the step-by-step guide to clean a water dispenser in this post. Have a glimpse!
Cleaning a Water Dispenser
Safety is highly important at the time of cleaning a water dispenser. One must ensure that they unplug the dispenser from the electric outlet before the cleaning process. The way of cleaning a top-loading water dispenser is different from a bottom-loading dispenser. The same equipment can be used for cleaning both types of dispensers. However, the mode of cleaning might be slightly different. It’s highly significant to clean a water dispenser. The dust particles settled inside the water tanks may cause different infections to the people. To evade such health problems, it is necessary to clean a water dispenser using available materials. One must clean a water dispenser at least once every 6 weeks.
Preparation of Water Dispenser Cleaning Solution
Before cleaning a dispenser, make sure you have the essential ingredients given in this post. Using the essential material, one can easily prepare the cleaning solution. You need to choose between the types of solutions with which you want to clean your water dispenser. You can either use vinegar or bleach for cleaning the dispenser. These two ingredients will show a greater impact in killing the germs and disinfecting the machine. Chemical cleaning solutions and mild soap aren’t advised as they might reflect it on the water’s taste.
Check the ingredients furnished below:
- Lemon Juice
- Microfiber cloth
- To prepare vinegar solution, pour 1 cup of undiluted white vinegar to three cups of water.
- Add two tablespoons of lemon juice to this mixture to lessen the vinegar scent.
- Add the lemon juice only after mixing vinegar and water thoroughly.
- Take 1 tablespoon of bleach and add it to a gallon of water.
- Ensure that you use unscented bleach so that it will be simple to get through the smell at the end.
- Mix the solution in a tender manner using disposable gloves.
You can use any of the aforementioned solutions for cleaning a top-loading or bottom-loading water dispenser.
How to Clean a Top-Loading Water Dispenser
Read on the detailed explanation on how to clean a top-loading water dispenser below:
Step 1: Unplug Power Outlet
- The first and foremost step is to unplug the power outlet to evade a sudden electric shock.
- As this machine is related to water and electricity, unplugging the power source is highly crucial.
Step 2: Remove the Bottle
- You need to remove the water bottle present on the top of the water dispenser.
- Clean the dust present on the valve using a paper towel or a sponge.
- If the dust is hard, just use baking soda and water mixture to clean the area.
- Ensure that you clean the area where the bottle meets the water dispenser thoroughly.
- Cleanly scrub the top surface in a clockwise or anticlockwise direction.
Step 3: Remove the Drip Tray
- The drip tray must be removed from the water dispenser below the hot and cold water faucets.
- Place it under the running water that comes forcefully.
- Wipe the tray using the cleaning solution that you have prepared earlier.
- If you still find the stains, scrub it hard using the baking soda paste.
- Ensure that the drip tray is dry enough before attaching it to the dispenser. Don’t leave moisture behind inside the drip tray.
Step 4: Clean Inner Reservoir
- After detaching the bottle from the dispenser, pour the cleaning solution into the reservoir.
- After pouring the solution, leave it for about 3 to 5 minutes without disturbing.
- Later, drain the cleaning solution through the cold water dispensing tap into a different bowl.
- To rinse out the remaining solution, fill the reservoir with water, and drain it. Do this at least twice to ensure no remains of the solution is present inside the reservoir.
- Drain the water from both the spigots until the vinegar or bleach taste goes away.
Step 5: Place a New Water Bottle
- Once you are done with the cleaning process of the water dispenser, you can place a new water bottle.
- Before that, you must dry the new bottle by wiping it with a dry towel.
- Ensure that you wash your hands before fixing a new water bottle.
- Once you are done with the complete cleaning process, you can replace all the parts.
Step 6: Plugin
- You can then plug in the water dispenser.
- Let the dispenser make the water cool for about an hour before using it.
- Make sure your hands are clean before installing a new water bottle.
- Voila! You are good to go now!
How to Clean a Bottom-Loading Water Dispenser
Check the detailed procedure in cleaning a bottom loading water dispenser below:
Step 1: Unplug the Water Dispenser
- It is the common step regardless of the loading type of water dispenser.
- To evade an unexpected electric shock, you must unplug the device from the power outlet.
Step 2: Remove the Bottle
- You need to remove the water bottle present in the cabinet at the bottom of the water dispenser.
- If there is some water inside the reservoir, just drain it by opening any of the faucets.
Step 3: Add Cleaning Solution
- Once you have removed the bottle, you can add your preferred disinfectant to clean it.
- Add any of the aforementioned cleaning solutions for cleaning the water tanks.
- Pour the cleaning solution in the water bottle and install it to the dispenser.
- Just leave the dispenser for about 10 to 15 minutes so that it does its work perfectly.
- Turn on the hot and cold water spigots and run the solution through both the faucets until the tank becomes empty.
- Just drain out the solution from the tank.
Step 4: Remove the Drip Tray
- After cleaning the tanks, you can remove the remaining parts of the water dispenser.
- Just remove the drip tray and clean it with the cleaning solution.
- After that, rinse the tray and wipe it using a clean dry cloth.
Step 5: Fill the Bottle with Clean Water
- Just refill the water bottle with fresh water.
- Rinse the water tank at least twice to make sure no remains of the cleaning solution is left behind.
- Drain all the water through both the spigots.
- Repeat this process until you get fresh water from the taps.
Step 6: Plugin
- Once you are satisfied with the cleaning process, you can replace all the parts of the water dispenser.
- Wipe the new water bottle with a clean and dry cloth. Install the new bottle with fresh water.
- After plugging in, the dispenser takes at least 30 minutes to chill the water.
- That’s all! This is the easy process to clean a bottom-loading water dispenser.
The Bottom Line
Hopefully, this guide seems to be helpful for you in cleaning your water dispenser without any issues. We presented the best way to clean both the water dispenser types. Cleaning is a key element for those who use a water dispenser assuring long time durability. We assume this cleaning guide is beneficial in assisting you in drinking clean and hygienic water every time. Share your experiences in the comments section below.